lomont.org

(Also lomonster.com and clomont.com)

Seaham Art Installation

Gene and I were contracted to create an art installation for a building in Seaham, UK. This is some of the pictures and notes from that work. Click each image for a large version. Visit Hypnocube for more details (and video, which I have not uploaded here). The overall device wraps two edges of a column, stands about 8 feet tall, and is composed of 40 rows tall by 3 rows deep of full color LEDs soldered into a lattice. The hardware is controlled by our custom PIC driver that we use for our 8x8x8 Hypnocubes and that in turn is controlled by a PC running custom visualization software.

 

Construction

Here are pictures from the contruction in the US, in Gene's basement.

 

First of all, here are details of the LED lattice:

 

Here are a few pictures of the device running while testing and implementation. This is the device on its side.

 

Two screenshots of code, which consists of about 5000 lines of C# and some XAML for a WPF viewer: 

 

Transport

We needed to fly the overall device to the UK on a flight with us, so Gene found the biggest box that fits below airline limits. Each of the 8 modules was wrapped in custom cut cardboard wrappers, and each of the 8 are packed in the large box. Surprisingly, they flew in the luggage section relatively well.

At the other end, the only rental vehicle we could obtain was pretty small, so we had to disassemble to large box and stuff the modules into the car. It all fit.

 

 

 

Location

We arrived in Seaham, UK, on Saturday, June 30, where we found the building and the column where we were to install the device. Here is me standing by the column, and here is the artist Jo Fairfax that comissioned us to do this project.

Unpacking, repair, and tuning

Many LEDs got knocked loose during transit, so Gene fixed them as I polished the software. The artist and I sat and went through the various visualizations, tuning the colors and speed and frequencies, until all were happy.

Then we stayed overnight in Durham, which had lots of neat architecture and places to walk.

 

Installation

Once we were satisfied the device was working well, we set about attaching it to the column. Locals Dean Cook and Simon Bennett were indispensible help.

First we needed many holes for sttachment and for power/control wires:

Then we attached modules, one at a time, from the top down. Each module was supported to prevent sagging by a fishing line attached through a hole in the top. Each module was tested upon installation.

All but one and then all modules installed!

Some of the aftermath.....

Final Images

Here are a few pictures of the finished column, and one of me (Chris Lomont), Gene Foulk, and Jo Fiarfax.

Unfortunatley, it was getting late, and the column shows the same visualization for about 4 minutes, requiring about an hour to go through them all, so we did not get pictures of all the different things it does. Perhaps on a later trip :)

 

The End